Well; you know about my “mistake” on the quilt front……I have managed to “pick out” the stitches all around the upside down block (really a whole row)….now I just need to get busy and reinsert it. That is the plan for today!
But, I was so annoyed with myself I could not face it for a couple of days!! Hate when that happens. I did, however, spend my time productively.
I experimented with printing on my own fabric using the freezer paper method. It worked GREAT!!! I have used the commercially available products in the past, but last year my quilt instructor, Edwina, at Serendipity Quilt Shop told me about this method. Basically she said “GOOGLE IT” …so I did. I found lots of information about how to do the process; ordered the Bubble Jet wash and Bubble Jet Rinse products too…. I think I have about $20 invested in the Bubble products. I’ve had them sitting on the shelf, just waiting for me to use them.
When I decided to try this over the weekend, here is what I did…..
I cut the fabric and the freezer paper to 8.5 x 11 “. I ironed the fabric to the shiny side of the freezer paper; brought it to the printer and put ONE piece in the paper tray. My printer pulls from the bottom tray, and I have to load it fabric side down. (I learned a long time ago to put an X on the top piece of paper and see which side it printed on. )
I set my printing options to the HIGHEST quality PHOTO settings…the maximum DPI. Takes a LOT of ink, and it prints REALLY slow…but the quality is awesome.
I was so excited about doing this, I skipped the Bubble JET WASH process…..But I did the RINSE when I was finished and hung the piece to dry on a hanger. I went ahead; after the fact and washed two more pieces of fabric, just to see how they turn out. I think I will try to print on them later in the week.
Anyway; without further ado….below is the picture of what I printed.
This first message was written by the family who asked me to make this quilt.
The Farmer family asked me to tell a little about myself and the making of the quilt, so this message is what I wrote.
Below is the setting for both messages.
I decided to use some of the remaining fabric used on the front of the quilt to set the block for the message.
I have since stitched it down to the flannel quilt back…..hoping it is near center!!
Off to put to the upside down piece “right side up”….