Phew…that was a lot of work….all that wood and such………..
Kidding…..last post I let off with a peak of a couple of potential layouts for my “silk” project. Last week I posted about playing with them on the design wall. I had 96 half square triangles (3.5″) from our May class – Cheryl Lynch “Sewing with Silk” .
I had settled on the Barn Raising pattern. By Wednesday afternoon it was ready to layer and quilt after trying out some backing fabrics. We settled (with hubby’s help) on the fabric for the border, back and binding.
I got them cut and attached, and ready to layer…. OOOPS….need to get batting A trip to Hancock Fabric was in store for the evening, and I managed to get 40% off of some nice warm and white batting.
I got it all put together and quilted by Thursday evening. Now, I have Quilt guild on June 2 and I wanted to take it for “show & tell”, but I hated the way the thread I had used looked when it went across the blue and the magenta. I had used a varigated seafoam green, and quilted in the ditch along all the squares. So, you know the seam ripper had to come out. The seafoam green disappeared into the greens and pale purples…but not so much on the blue and the magenta/cranberry color.
On Friday I took a bus trip to the Quilter’s Unlimited Quilt Show in Chantilly VA, and selected some threads at the Superior Thread booth. Saturday I spent picking out the stitches on some of my quilting. (Listened to an audio book, Simple Genius – David Baldacci while picking…) Well….the threads I picked at the quilt show were great…at least 1 was. Since I failed to take a fabric sample with me, I ended up with a red tone, not a cranberry/magenta that I needed. The blue I got was fabulous….you can not even see it on the finished top. By the time I picked out all the threads that crossed the blue and magenta, I realized I could just pull from my embroidery thread rack…..and I did.
So, all the ripping out, quilting and binding were the effort this weekend. I am much happier with the end result. I added a hanging sleeve just before I put the binding on, and actually HAND FINISHED the binding, the sleeve and my Stitching Grandma label. So…here it is….the Barn Raising, in Silk.
Adding the label
All of the colors are represented in this batik
Putting on the binding
Barn Raising in Silk
27 x 39″
First finish for JUNE !!! (Hey it IS June….and I spent about 4 hours today hand stitching that binding down and getting that hanging sleeve on…….)
Quilt show….spent too much money of course, but picked up some fun fat quarters. We play a game at our Quilt Bee that involves trading, and the them this month is BEACH. I had a lot of fun to pick out fabrics that fit the theme. Also I tripped over some reproduction fabrics that will become a table runner in the
near future. And, I bought a pattern to make a quilting tool book tote for going to classes. I have all the supplies on hand except a 2 1/8″ metal ring. (Either the quilt store or the hardware store tomorrow for that!). (It will be a race with my friend Barbara to see who gets it finished first!!)
Let’s see…oh, 2 new pounce pads. One for white and one for pink. (Somebody….me… put blue in with the white, forever making it a blue pad……). Had interesting discussion with the “Pounce” man about application and got out of there without buying any more stencils. Got big spools of thread from Superior (you know, buy 3 and they are ONLY $15)….and….found a product that will make applique a bit more high tech….8 1/2 x 11″ run thru your printer paper, similar to wonder-under. Transfer your design right to the paper via the magic of your computer. (You know I will spend as much time trying to cram as many designs on a page as I would tracing them free hand.) 🙂
We saw some great quilts and these all caught my eye. The last one is a Bonnie Hunter design. It is called Celtic Solstice and was a mystery quilt last winter. (On my “to do” list too!) The USAF Logo is also on my list…but first I need to find the design somewhere or buy design software. There are two that look like optical illusions, and I loved them both. And how about those feet….that was a paper piecing challenge at one of the chapters of Quilter’s Unlimited. Too cute!
June begins with a busy week starting tomorrow with Quilt Guild meeting on Monday and a class with the Guild on Tuesday.
Our speaker will be Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr “The Luminous Quilt” lecture and trunk show. The class on Tuesday will be Snowdrift Quilt taught by Bill Kerr, and is a Graphic Curves class. (I have not mastered curved piecing yet…..). Have my fabric chosen for that project; as well as for 2 other projects in line. (Did you notice I skipped right over “That Shoulder Bag”pattern I downloaded from Gourmet Quilter….no, I have not forgotten…it is on my list….). Meanwhile….the weeds in the garden grow ever taller…but the Peonies are outshining them anyway!
Happy stitching everyone!