August is shaping up to be a month where things are finally getting finished. A friend of mine asked me the other night “How many quilts are you working on at once? ” Well, the answer really is I can only work on one at a time, but I have many in various stages of completion. Today was a great day with the finish on Addison’s Quilt. I was able to get it trimmed and bound this afternoon/evening and am ready to pop it in the washer with 3 or 4 color catchers. I did “pre wash” but I want to be sure there are NO surprises, and I love the way a quilt “crinkles” after it is washed and dried the first time. Besides, I have been handling it alot and I want it to be nice & clean when I give it to her. (Do you suppose I can wait until I get to show it off at the next guild meeting????)
If you have been following along, I started this project in late March when my daughter selected the pattern. I had made a baby quilt Pinterest board and “pinned” quilt patterns that I was willing to make. The pattern she selected was one that was called “A Halloween Quilt by Simple Simon and Company. I used it as a launching point, and I added in a third color. I do want to give credit for the inspiration to Elizabeth and her design at Simple Simon and Co The addition of the aqua was my choice, and I think it adds a little “zing” to the project. I used 5″ half square triangles (HST) for Addison’s quilt and a 6 1/2″ wide finished border. I wasn’t sure how many HST I was going to need, so I made LOTS ! ! In fact, I made so many that I added them to the pieced back that I made.
So, here is an overview with the finish pictures at the end –
I made LOTS of half square triangles
I had about 222 LEFT OVER so I used a few in the backing with these great “wagon wheel blocks”. I love a “pieced back” and like bringing the fabric from the quilt top to the back of the quilt.
I made LOTS of binding….using the Susie’s Magic Binding technique from 52 Quilts in 52 Weeks blog.
I quilted with my walking foot in a diagonal in the white only.
Made the label on my embroidery machine and stitched it on so the very top is “under the binding”.
Feels great to have another finish! Just think – she will be 5 months old tomorrow! Not bad! This is a double bed sized quilt finishing at 80″x88″, so she can “grow into it!”.
Oh; I forgot to share this picture – I delivered June’s quilt to her on Monday….I think she was happy!
I might have mentioned last week that I was going to pin baste 2 smaller quilts…Well, I got to my SitNSew group at church last Wednesday with 2 quilt tops, and the fabric to build the backings. Got the backings all built, dug out the safety pins and realized I had come without the batting! So, I hung everything back on hangers, and brought it all back home. This morning bright and early I re-measured and cut batting for both my Scrappy Stars and my Courthouse steps. So they are now “pin basted” and ready to quilt. My goal is to get the Scrappy Stars done in the next few days, as it is going to a Benefit Auction at the end of the month. When it is done, my Pet Mosaic moves up to #1…….Not sure where Courthouse Steps will land in the priority list, but it is not at the top! I looked at all the quilt tops on hangers and have been thinking I need to work on some more “finishes”….I am on a roll…..
It’s been a good day!