I have finished the 2nd twin sized “Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt”; designed by Bonnie Hunter – Quiltville.com with minor modifications to the final layout. I used 12 of the big blocks; more of the green & white & black checkerboard sashing; and added my own layers of sashing in yellow and bright green and turquoise to the blocks. The final border is a pieced border, made with 2.5″ squares, a bit different than what Bonnie designed in the original pattern.
My goal when I did the checkerboard and final border was to use up some of the parts I had made during the “clues” process. I actually ran out of those turquoise and pink half-square triangle pieces and had to make about 6 more. Somewhere in the “clues” process I mis-read instructions and sewed together neutrals and yellows (2.5″ squares). They ended up as the final border. I plan to bind the quilt with yellow binding with a turquoise flange. Hoping to get it layered up for quilting in the next week or two. Here is a peek at the fabric I chose for the backing. I had originally bought 3 yards, and made a trip to Hobby Lobby for more yesterday!
This fabric is directional and has the sweetest little bird on it! I always buy extra when doing backings and hope I got enough extra to get a good match up to the pattern.
I decided this past weekend I really did need to gain control of the chaos in my sewing room. I had baskets all over the place with bits and pieces from this project. When I made those double diamonds you may remember that I had a lot of “mis-fits”. I also had all those “bonus triangles” from the double diamonds. I got busy and tackled each basket – one at a time. Some of the bonus triangles had been stitched into half-square triangles already and just needed to be pressed. Others were stacked and needed to be stitched. I did them all. The first group I picked up and put in the 2.5″ scrap box; without trimming. The next group I decided to play with (the reason the sewing room is still a mess). Since I had the “mis-fits” in the double diamonds, I had some rather small HST. If you look in the photo below, you will see some 1.5″ pink ones (those are trimmed – in the left corner of the basket). Others trimmed out to 2″. I will have to go back to the scrap box and move them to the 2″ box. While I played, I trimmed, arranged to a pattern and stitch together this block:
I had one big block left over from the construction of the 2 quilts; and a friend suggested making a “doll bed quilt” from it.. So, in the clean process, I added some borders and this is what it will look like:
I have one other “scrap project” underway; playing with the double diamonds and half-square triangles, but I am not sure I am loving it’s current look….so I will engage my new seam ripper before I show any pictures.
In other activities; I have been 2 two quilt shows in the last 3 weeks; one in Hampton Virginia; by bus with the ladies & 1 gentleman from the guild. Last week 2 friends accompanied me to the AQS show in Lancaster PA. I have gotten my gadget, thread and fabric fix for a while! I bought a cute pattern and a pile of fat quarters in Hampton to do a “cat” quilt. My friend Barbara got a companion pattern and she & I are planning a day of applique cutting and fabric sharing. At Lancaster I stockpiled 1/2 yard bundles of red, cream and blue for a Quilts of Valor project. I am going to use a Bonnie Hunter pattern for that project. I have a deadline for it; early July for our guild’s quilt show and subsequent donation. I need to get busy with it! I will post some photo’s as I work through the project.
Along the way, last week, my quilting sister in law – Carolyn also known to some as the One Block WonderWoman ( http://www.Oneblockwonderwoman.wordpress.com) twisted my arm and convinced me to join in on a One Block Wonder challenge that is happening with a Facebook group. She was shopping for the fabric, and gifted me 6 yards of this wonderful fabric.
Can I tell you how tempted I was to use this on the back of the GIMQ#2 quilt instead of buying more of the fabric with the little bird? I am hanging on to this for the challenge, and right after I get my QOV going, then I will think about this one!
In the meantime, part of my clean-up involved gathering all my flower head pins that are numbered. I need them for the OBW. Well; the markings have worn off so while I was at Hobby Lobby, I invested in a new box of pins, some beads and some great glue. And, I am working on this little project – I found 1 3/4″ quilt pins and tiny beads with letters and numbers, and some glue that seems to be holding, so I got busy building sets A1-A15; all the way it I 1-15. For what ever reason the I’s look like 1’s, so that set is kind of funny; and there is an abundance of U’s in the letter package and a shortage of D’s and Q’s. But, I think I can make it all work. The glue has too large of an opening, and I should have gone for one with a fine tip; but I took the clerks recommendation and am dealing with it using toothpicks to apply. The idea of these pins is to label every One Block Wonder Hexi Block once the design is created. Check out Carolyn’s page and here great descriptions of her quilts. I have only completed one OBW, under her supervision, so I am going to keep my fingers crossed. ( I do have one in the UFO stack…sssh) I did trip over a blog yesterday with great video’s to remind me of the process ( http://ifthesethreadscouldtalk.com/new-york-kaleidocally-hexed/ ) and I have both of the Maxine Rosenthal One Block Wonder books to use a a reminder. You would think I could talk Carolyn into a visit……..we could have SEW MUCH FUN !!
SEW…the projects are multiplying, the chaos is still managable, and I need to get GIMQ#1 under the needle and QUILTED. What ever you do, I hope you are having fun! I certainly am!