Last week was crazy busy! It was a week of learning!
Monday was our monthly Quilt Guild meeting and luncheon. Tuesday a class with the guild – “Sewing with Silk”; Wednesday – 2 quilts to bind for church; Thursday a guild board meeting and a leadership training event at church and Friday….binding to rip out and re-do (refer to Wednesday!). Saturday, rebind 1 quilt (refer to Friday)…and Sunday was Mother’s day and a 3rd quilt to bind. Whew…..Somewhere along the line we visited some friends, and had a quilt buddy over to work through her project. And then Monday, a trip to church to help another friend pin baste a king size quilt.
Want to hear about the 1 quilt I had to rip out the binding on? Going to tell you my story of woe…..It is the story of Quilt # 2…..
I love doing that binding with a flange (piping) from the tutorial called Susies Magic Binding –52 Quilts in 52 Weeks: Tuesday Tutorial: Susie’s Magic Binding . It has become my “go to” binding because it looks so cool. I recently did the table runner (5 minute block) and the t-shirt memory quilt using this method.
Well…let me tell you the story. Quilt # 1; PERFECT. Quilt # 2; NOT….why I wondered what was different. It turns out, it was all in the way the quilt had been trimmed by the long-armer. Quilt # 1 was trimmed to the edge of the top. Quilt # 2 was not. She didn’t do anything wrong…she trimmed it for hand sewn on the back binding; leaving about 1/2″ of backing and batting past the edge of the quilt front.
My lesson was TRIM to the edge of the quilt if you are doing Susie’s Magic binding. I didn’t trim QUILT # 2, I had shifted my needle over to the left to make sure I was catching the top when I was stitching the binding on the back of the quilt.
So, when I rolled my binding to the front…..and stitched it down…I thought I was fine, but I was barely catching the very edge of the blocks. As I looked the quilt over when I finished the binding on Wednesday evening, I was horrified to see the binding pulling away.
So; lots of “froggin”….rip it ….rip it…. Originally, I thought I could fix it, and after 2 or 3 tries, I decided the best bet was remove, trim and redo the binding!! Rippin out 2 lines of stitching….(and of course, my setting for my 1/4” is a shorter stitch….)
So, by Friday evening, I had the binding totally off, and thrown in the trash. New binding made, quilt trimmed properly for this type of binding! Saturday evening, the binding was on and looked great.
GREAT lesson. I delivered both quilts to church on Sunday and brought Quilt # 3 home to bind, and delivered it back on Monday morning. Now, all 3 of our senior quilts have a binding that is the same. Hubby was worried that one would be different, which is what prompted me to volunteer to do #3.
Now, if you know me at all, you know I can’t REALLY throw fabric away, so I dug the 300″ of binding out of the trash, pressed it open, and cut that binding into 2.5″ sections…..for Hexies of course!
In between the fun of sewing; there has been time spent out in the yard. The azaleas that are starting to bloom, the blue wild flowers coming up in the back yard, and the little patch along the front porch that I laid out some bricks, split the lirope from the other garden, planted some bulbs and used a lazy gardener wild flower mat (hoping the seeds grow). The next few day will be spent in the big garden getting it cleaned out, since the sedum is up, the lirope is up, and the tulips are nearly finished. Love seeing the purple iris blooming. Have to remember to water that one next to the porch!
I mentioned I helped my friend, Barbara pin baste her quilt yesterday. She and I are both making this pattern; Summer in the Park; in a king – size. pattern here: http://englandstreet.blogspot.com/2012/08/salt-air-summer-in-park-quilt.html
We started this quilt at our retreat in February. Mine is the black and white and yellow I posted about here: http://wp.me/p2WeLK-qU (Note: mine is NOT finished…still sitting; waiting for the last row to go on, and the borders!)
Barbara had some border trouble the last time we tried to baste it. She is also well schooled in the “froggin”, ripping off the border and redoing it. It was PERFECT yesterday, and took us an hour and 15 minutes start to finish to lay it out and get it basted. I LOVE LOVE LOVE her fabric – Bobbins and Bits by Pat Sloan!!
Today is a garden day; and a day to get the window air conditioners all cleaned and into the appropriate window. Hubby was not happy with 82 degrees in the bedroom last night. The humidity was high (80%); and I will relent today. So, we had about 2 weeks of spring; time to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. I guess the house will get closed up and the electric meter will start spinning again. 😦
I mentioned “sewing with silk”….I made 96 half-square triangles; 3 1/2”. Think my youngest daughter may get a table runner for Christmas….shhh…don’t tell (she doesn’t read the blog anyway). Surfing the web for great layouts of half square triangles and think I found a modern looking one that will suit her. The colors are really cool, and should work in her decorating scheme. Pictures later.
Happy stitching!!! Time to get busy for me.